Wednesday, May 18, 2011

J Tean Kitchen @ SStwo Mall

Pork ribs, pork ribs, pork ribs *chanting*



Ever since I found out Xen would be visiting Melbourne, I was partly imagining myself there with her savoring the ever so tasty pork ribs from Squire's Loft @ South Yarra. I couldn't stop salivating for good ribs for weeks so I initiated this visit to try out J Tean Kitchen, the fusion bak kut teh.


interior decor which outstands as a fusion of modern matte white spray paint on oriental details. I feel it's a good execution to pair with their fusion menu style.





mm~ I love the flower detailings!





Because there was only two of us, we couldn't order much. Of course, the ribs' a must!





Lion Head : three delicious meatballs, fried until golden brown served with signature dipping sauce at MYR7.90


nothing spectacular, and it was a little bit too dry on the inside. Its coated pretty well with their sauce on the outside, but not good enough.





The J-Ribs : the finest pork ribs, pre-stewed with special herbal spices recipe, specially marinated with special sauce, cooked until tender, served with salad, potato wedges and *special sauce at MYR34.90
In their menu, there were three special sauces available : char siew, pumpkin and salted egg. But when we were there that day, they only had char siew sauce with a twist in it. They were infused together with Thai chilli sauce. Too sweet for me, but nonetheless tasty. I'm not sure if they will prepare their special sauces in the near future cos I would love to try pumpkin and salted egg sauce.. Sounds yummy~ Ribs were pretty good and it did satisfy my craving. Good replacement, but still, nothing beats Squire's.. :)


The J-Porky Pie : a must to try, our signature pie filled with succulent pork meat in special herbal sauce covered with puff pastry at MYR19.90


this was something really fusion. The sauce was spicy and the herbal taste was not too overpowering. A little salty, so it would taste perfect wrapped in pastry. To me, the pastry was a little too buttery for me. I personally prefer slightly more golden brown pastry too. The dish was shallow, so it didn't gave me that good spoon sinking feeling like how it is when we dig into our Domè pie.





but it's good overall! A good balance of fat in the meat, and it was cooked until tender which not many restaurants are able to achieve. The meat and it's herbal spice reminded much of Klang's dry bak kut teh taste.



I will definitely be a returning customer :) only disappointment was the Lion Head. They will be giving 20% discount until the end of May, so enjoy the benefits while you still can~


J Tean Kitchen
SStwo Mall
Unit G-58 Ground Floor
No 40, Jalan SS2/72
47300 Petaling Jaya
Malaysia
Tel : 603-7954 0819

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: