Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Market Hall, Pavilion

I was craving for some comfort food as I wasn't feeling well the whole week. I don't usually go for congee, porridge or Asian fare when I am not feeling well as I find it usually too A) bland, B) I get hungry within the next 2 hours or C) looks unappetizing.

Consulted my bestfriend, Google and I found the closest (good) risotto serving place at Pavilion, which was just 5 minutes from where I was. So off to Market Hall it was for dinner! Market Hall which serves lunch and dinner is linked with Bedroom, which is a bar/club? If you were partying in Bedroom and ordered some food, its all prepared in Market Hall.

The concept and design of this place is very fuss free, and I like their approach to food. Taken from their website- The “farm to plate” concept is all about immediacy. From being loaded at the farm to arriving at our restaurant, your food makes no extra stops. It doesn't come off a factory line, nor is it preserved with unnecessary ingredients. Instead, what you get is freshly put together and cooked to flavourful perfection!.
Inside looking out..
Open kitchen.. I saw a guy hand-tossing a pizza
Complimentary bread & dip..
As soon as we placed our orders, we were served bread. It was warm and fresh and the tomato dip was just lovely. One of the better breads I've had. We started off with the Delighting Scallops, which were seared and served on a bed of cauliflower puree and topped with garlic bits. Yummy!

"Delighting Scallops"
delightful indeed..

For my main, I picked the Risotto of the Day, which was a Chicken and Mushroom Risotto. Each grain popped lightly, a sign of excellent risotto, not soggy or undercooked. My dish was absolutely delicious, the chicken pieces were tender and well marinated. The texture of the whole dish was just perfect to me.
Risotto of the Day..
A light pop in every grain. Love!
My partner ordered the Parpadelle with clams, chillies, white wine and brocolli sauce. I usually avoid Parpadelle because they remind me of bigger pieces of fettucine and also 'pan mien'. Which are just huge splats of tasteless flour. If the sauce doesn't coat the pasta well, it would be equivalent to eating a bowl of rice with a tiny splash of soup. Anyhow, the Parpadelle was awesome! The light cream white wine sauce was so good and each strip of Parpadelle was evenly coated, the clams were juicy and clean. I found myself picking at my partners dish so many times. 
Parpadelle with white wine, chillies, brocolli and clams..
So good.
I would also like to note that there was no oil pool at the bottom of our plates after we had finished, and also we did not feel thirsty after our meal. I was having a sore throat and am usually sensitive to excessive sodium and MSG so yes, I think it is safe to conclude that they go light on the salt.

Market Hall gets a big thumbs up from me! I was already expecting a 25 min wait for my risotto but into 15 mins, the waiter very nicely came over to inform me that my Risotto is still being prepared. To be honest, this is the first time I have had a waiter inform me that my food is going to take a while even when I was prepared to wait! Even better, they didn't serve my partner first (as most places do), so he wouldn't have to eat alone or wait for mine to arrive, leaving his food cold. Excellent service from Market Hall, very considerate and timely. 

Overall, I loved the food, service and ambiance, and would like to return to try a few other starters and pastas. Market Hall also sells some bath items like soaps and lotions, cooking products such as olive oil and a variety of tinned spices.

*All pictures taken by iPhone 3Gs*

Market Hall || Bedroom
+603 2141 9622
Level 6, Pavilion Shopping Mall (in front of TGIF)
168 Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia
Website: http://www.markethall.my

2 comments:

Syenn said...

LOL when i tried this place couple of months back, the food really sucked. From the juices to the appetizers to the mains (pastas) - everything was so friggin bland even pepper couldnt save the dishes.

But oh wells, based on ur review, perhaps a second chance?

Xen ♥ said...

Just spoke to Yi Leng, she didnt like it very much either cause her food took too long to arrive :/

I think they upped their menu and tweaked their dishes? Cause I saw quite a few happy faces that night. 2nd chance before you decide! :D